Ayre KX-R Twenty Pre-amplifier
- Available in Black or Silver
Since the introduction of the KX-R preamplifier in 2008 Ayre we have embarked on many projects involving new technologies. While progressing along this musical journey, their collective knowledge base has grown immensely in all areas of audio circuit design. These new insights have been implemented at the highest level in the complete redesign of the KX-R Twenty.
These technologies and upgrades to the KX-R have resulted in a preamplifier which is as revolutionary now as the KX-R was when it was originally introduced with the world’s first Variable Gain Transconductance (VGT) volume control. The debut of our AyreLock power supply uses a new type of discrete voltage regulation with more than twice the capacitance of the old power supply, delivering powerfully layered dynamics—musically. Ayres optimizations of the current mirror and addition of the Ayre Diamond output stage impart such a stunning sense of realism that you will be captivated from the first note. The resolution of detail and ultimate sense of refinement you will discover in the KX-R Twenty both come from hundreds of hours of listening tests, allowing Ayre to choose the absolute best part for every critical area along the audio circuit.
Finally, following their mantra that everything matters, Ayre have explored each detail in the audio path from circuit trace length to part orientation and have included processes which many would consider fanatical, pushing this preamplifier to the brink of perfection. Celebrate twenty years of adventure and invention with the KX-R Twenty.
“In my life, three much-hyped experiences have actually lived up to all the hoopla: trekking into Machu Picchu on a misty morning, climbing the Great Wall of China on a brisk December afternoon, and auditioning the Ayre KX-R. If it’s not the eighth wonder of the modern world, I say demand a recount.”
– Wes Phillips, Stereophile
- Variable Gain Transimpedance (VGT) volume circuit
- Ayre's exclusive Diamond output circuit
- AyreLock power supply
- zero-feedback, fully-balanced discrete circuitry
- 60 step volume control, each of 1.0 dB
- Equilock circuitry for active gain devices
- Input ground switching for true source isolation
- Eight inputs: four balanced, four single-ended
- Two balanced outputs, two balanced tape outputs
- Dimmable silent-mode fluorescent display
- Ultra-high-speed circuit board material
- Fly-by-wire control system
- Solid aluminum monocoque chassis