Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE MM/MC Phono Stage
One the most revered ph
- Complete with PWX Power Supply
ono stages on the market today, the Lehmann Black Cube SE! With its outboard PWX power supply, user-adjustable DIP switches for gain and loading options, improved parts and additional chassis damping, the Black Cube SE belts out the music! Experience more musical resolution and detail, better bass response and a completely silent background with the Black Cube/Power Cube PWX combination.
Great sound and versatility at a very reasonable price. In our listening tests we have found the Black Cube to be very fast and detailed with the ability to project an extremely realistic three-dimensional soundstage. Two PCB mounted DIP switches offer adjustable gain and loading options for almost all cartridges. Three gain levels, version 2 improves parts quality and adds chassis damping.
The Black Cube is a phono stage developed for the analogue music lover. The small box can be placed near by the turntable, and a wide variety of cartridges can be connected ranging from MC to high-output MM.
The passive RIAA-network of the Black Cube is placed between two linear amplifier stages - highly buffered special amplifiers by Analog Devices. This minimizes nonlinearities caused by phase errors that would occur in active filters. The use of low tolerance WIMA capacitors results in a very stablesonic impression with a fast attack response, delicate tonal balance and realistic soundstage information.
The external regulated power supply of the Black Cube can be placed up to 2m away from the audio section. The cable between power supply and audio section is shielded to keep RFI away from the near noiseless and highly stable supply voltages. This effect is enhanced by additional supplyvoltage filtering on the double sided audio PCB.
Analogue guru Michael Fremer gave the Black Cube his highest praise in his Analog Corner column in the October '98 Stereophile: "...get your hands on the Lehmann Audio Black Cube. I don't know of anything at or near the price, or maybe even twice the price, that sounds this good." Stereophile rated Class B.
Features of the PWX Power Cube power supply:
- 30VA (=10x Black Cube) high current toroidaltransformer with protection coil between primaryand secondary coil filtering away common modeinterferences. This makes the power supply a filterpower supply!
- Only top notch electronic parts
- Ultra fast recovery rectifying diodes
- Advanced series voltage regulation stage
- Output voltage: app. +/- 15VDC
- Double sided pcb
- Detachable Cable with professional 4-pole
- XLR-connector with gold plated contacts.
- Aluminum case. Outer appearance fits the Cube. (just plain and black).
- Dimensions: 230mm (D) x 90mm (W) x 44mm (H).
- All Connectors at the rear side.
Technical Specifications for the Black Cube amp:
- Input sensitivity: MM MC for output level of 250mV/-10dB 2.2mV/1kHz 210µV/1kHz 755mV/ 0dB 7mV/1 kHz680µV/1kHz 1,55V/ +6dB 14mV/1 kHz 1.35mV/1kHz
- Gain 1kHz 40dB 61dB Max. input level1kHz: 63mV5.8mV
- S/N-ratio: unweighted referred to 0dBu 77dB 69dB
- CCIR 468-2 referred to 0dBu 75dB 67dB
- Channel deviation: typ. max. 0.5dB
- Channel crosstalk: fx = 1 kHz > 86dB fx = 10 kHz >85dB
- Input impedances: 47kOhms/470 Ohms/100 Ohmsswitchable on board the audio pcb. One place forcustom impedance on board the audio pcb
- Input capacitance: 220pF
- Output impedance: < 100 Ohms minimum imp.following stage: >10kOhm
- Dimensions (case only) 114mm x 44mm x108mm
- Power consumption: app. 0.7VA external power