Icon Audio Stereo 300 MKII Integrated Valve Amplifier
Stereo 300 MKII is ideal when highest fidelity is required from a medium-powered amp and is well suited to larger more efficient speakers for a detailed soundstage.
Icon Audio Stereo 300 MkII DHT Amplifier features remote control and Choke power supply and 30+30 Watts for warm, transparent, satisfying performance. Some things are hard to improve on and that is especially true of the 1930s 300B valve.
Directly Heated Triodes are considered by many to be the pinnacle of audio quality. Icon Audio have used all their skills in order to build an amplifier that gets the best out of this venerable tube. With 30 + 30W of power available from 20 Hz to 20kHz, it is sure to please the most demanding listener.
Western Electric designed the 300B to give a high quality, good output in cinema sound. In doing so they created a valve which in audio quality has never been bettered. Although primitive by today’s standards it has very low distortion and has very linear, properties which make ideal for the finest amplifiers. Because of this more care is need in designing the associated circuitry in order to remain sympathetic to its genre (don’t expect to see 300Bs in a budget or guitar amp).
The all-important HD drive circuit for the 300B output valve is achieved by using the superb 6SN7 valves in “Cascode” mode. 6SN7s date from 1940 so fit in well the overall sonics. Icon Audio feel the 6SN7 (CV181) has a more relaxed presentation than their miniature cousins, these larger driver valves are the best in their class for their musical sound and longer life. Try new David Shaw types or choose from TJ/Full Music, SG Treasure, Psvane, Vintage USA/Russian types.
Good sensitivity from the built in “passive” pre-amp ensures good results from virtually any type of input. Input sensitivity is varied by changing the feedback this enables use of the amplifier without any feedback or using low sensitivity ideal for use with a separate pre-amplifier.
Easy Bias Metre
The “easy bias” meter enables simple checking that the 300Bs are at optimum performance, the meter also gives an indication of the output power. Very useful when you may need to know if you are likely to approach the maximum available power.
Partnering loudspeakers and source equipment needs to be done carefully. If there is a downside to 300B amplifiers it is that they are more revealing and will not “mask” deficiencies as much as other amplifiers.
The standard valves give excellent performance. But for those who may wish to use “premium” or the new Western Electric 300Bs and want to maximise the life of these valves, therefore on request Icon Audio can supply the amplifier with a lower HT which will give a maximum of 21w per channel output.
- Stage: Pure Class A CV181/6SN7 driver
- Output power 30W (8Ω)
- Output valve: 4x 300B (AC heated)
- Double Triode: 4x 6SN7 (CV181)
- Signal to noise level: -85db
- Freq resp: 20–20kHz (-0.2/0.5dB) (8w)
- THD (1kHz): <0.05/ 0.2% (1W/8w)
- Low feedback design: 0, 6.25, 15.2dB
- Switchable gain control: Yes
- Channel balance: typ within 0.2dB
- Input sensitivity: 140, 300, 790mV
- Silver plated copper PTFE audio cable
- Gold plated Input & speaker terminals
- Suitable for 4 to 8ohm loudspeakers
- Remote control: HQ ALPS motorised vol
- SCR audio caps, Jensen upgrade option
- Large choke regulated power supply
- Tertiary winding output transformers
- Power Consumption: 117/235V, 150W – 235W
- Compliance: CE, ROHS and WEEE
- Dimensions (WDH): 380 x 330 x 230mm
- Weight: 26kg