Van den Hul The White Beauty Special X - MC Moving Coil Cartridge
Our top model custom handbuilt phono cartridge, featuring matched crystal silver coils and 0.50 mV/channel output.
The WHITE BEAUTY Special-X is a resolution improved version of the GRASSHOPPER IV GLA, which refinements were only possible to be created after having switched to the entirely metal free and extremely revealing The THIRD ® loudspeaker cable in Mr. van den Hul’s audio system.
The WHITE BEAUTY Special-X’s refined body is made of white PolyCarbonate with about the same construction as the GRASSHOPPER IV GLA. The WHITE BEAUTY Special-X sets new sonic standards in analog reproduction.
Listening impressions are like being in the concert hall with a very precise projection of the instruments, the acoustics and even the conductor in space. The music as a whole sounds extremely realistic and very convincing with a lot of authority, especially in the bass and lower midrange; the high frequencies are very pure and extremely nice structured.
The differences with the GRASSHOPPER IV GLA are:
- Improved magnetic layout, -construction and -properties.
- A reduced cantilever length.
- Due to points 1 and 2 the resolution is higher.
- The suspension uses a very special damping rubber.
- There is more “space” between the musical instruments and vocals.
- The output is reduced from 0.65 mV/ch. to 0.50 mV/ch. by using double layer Matched Crystal Silver coils on a cross-shaped armature, both producing a higher channel separation.
THE WHITE BEAUTY SPECIAL-X
|stylus replacement ||see (*1) |
|stylus shape ||VDH - IS |
|stylus radii ||2 x 85 Micron |
|frequency range ||5 - 65.000 Hz |
|tracking force ||12 - 14 mN |
|static compliance ||35 Micron/mN |
|tracking ability ||70 Micron |
|output voltage || |
|channel unbalance ||< 0.5 dB |
|channel separation || |
> 33 / > 28 dB
|stylus tip mass ||0.32 Milligram |
|system weight ||8.5 Gram |
|vertical tracking angle ||22 Degrees |
|load capacitance ||see (*2) |
|load impedance || |
> 500 Ohm
|eff tone arm mass ||6 - 10 Gram |
|moving coil resistance || |
9 Ohm +/- 10%
|extra info || |
(*1): Stylus replacement and other services available on request
(*2): Non critical
(*3): Items produced before October '98: 13.5 - 16 mN
(*4): Available in two varieties:
- A more spatial sounding version with 0.50 mV/channel output for those who mostly play classical music.
- A more dynamic sounding version with 0.65 mV/channel output for those who mostly play jazz and pop music.