Most companies designed their high-end DAC by following the reference circuit from DAC chip company (such as ESS Technology). NuPrime takes it a step further with innovations surrounding the commodity chip.
To meet the highest performance requirement of the NuPrime Evolution Series, the power circuit of Evolution DAC has been redesigned from the ground up using C-Core transformers and AC filter, in addition to the DAC circuit. It utilizes one of the world’s highest performing 32-bit audio DACs, the ES9038PRO, and NuPrime PSRC IC chip to not only decode but also provide sampling rate up/down conversion from PCM 44.1kHz to PCM 768kHz and DSD64 to DSD512.
Ultra Clean Power Circuit
To get the cleanest and most stable power to the circuitry, no expense was spared when designing the power supply section of the Evolution DAC. The AC inlet goes right to a filter, which reduces the AC high frequency line noise by at least 20dB in the 100kHz to 5MHz region.
C-Core Transformer and Large Capacitor Bank
The filtered AC power is then fed to the AC power supply that utilizes C-Core transformers which has less stray flux than conventional ring type transformers. The stainless steel enclosures for the power supply provides shielding to minimize the transformer noise interference affecting other sensitive circuitry.
A large capacitor bank (around 70,000uF) using specialized capacitors, supplies ample and stable power to the analog and digital circuitry.
Taking things further, the analog section benefits from a NuPrime proprietary power circuitry crafted from discrete components. This circuitry provides further power stabilization and exhibits a high PSRR. Hence, the analog section is fed with the cleanest and most stable power we’ve put into any product. This translates to a superlative gain in audio performance that defines the Evolution series.
ES9038PRO DAC Chip
The world’s highest performance 32-bit Stereo DAC (ES9038PRO). State-of-the-art DAC with warmer sonic characteristics.
- NuPrime PSRC IC chip provides sample rate up/down conversion processing, from PCM 44.1kHz to PCM 768kHz and DSD64 to DSD512 (including PCM to/from DSD).
- A proprietary NuPrime implementation capable of decoding DoP formats via coaxial and optical inputs (to support NuPrime source and server devices that are able to output DoP stream in addition to S/PDIF).
- Seven digital filters.
- Output Level variable or fixed mode.
- Analog output phase change.
- Analog output channel setting (both outputs can be set to Right, Left, R + L or L + R).
- Display brightness adjustment.
- Seven digital inputs for complete system flexibility. Full microprocessor control with memory retention for all inputs.
- Custom designed non-linear volume curve.
- USB Asynchronous transfer mode.
- USB Supports DSD native playback by ASIO and DoP method. DSD is decoded natively with the same sample rate as the input source.
- USB Supports native MQA decode.
- Individually adjustable volume on each input for precise level matching of sources.
- Exclusive driver software for Windows, standard driver software for Mac.
- NuPrime vibration-free isolation feet.
- Available in black or silver anodized aluminum finish.
MQA and Sample Rate Converter (SRC)
The Sampling Rate Converter is not active when the input is MQA, which is how it should work. You can experiment by using software unfolding and decoding on the PC Tidal application so that the Evo DAC receives a PCM stream rather than a MQA stream. With a PCM stream, you will then be able to use the SRC and perform upsampling. You can then compare the sound between the MQA stream and the upsampled PCM stream.