Our top model custom handbuilt phono cartridge, featuring matched crystal gold coils and 0.50 mV/channel output.
On special request medium and high output versions are available; (Their variations in other parameters are minor to those described here for the 0.50 mV/channel standard version).
The BLACK BEAUTY Special-X is a resolution improved version of the GRASSHOPPER IV GLA, which refinements were only possible to be created after having switched to the entirely metal free and extremely revealing The THIRD ® loudspeaker cable in Mr. van den Hul’s audio system.
The BLACK BEAUTY Special-X’s refined body is made of black PolyCarbonate with about the same construction as the GRASSHOPPER IV GLA. The BLACK BEAUTY Special-X sets new sonic standards in analog reproduction.
Listening impressions are like being in the concert hall with a very precise projection of the instruments, the acoustics and even the conductor in space. The music as a whole sounds extremely realistic and very convincing with a lot of authority, especially in the bass and lower midrange; the high frequencies are very pure and extremely nice structured.
The differences with the GRASSHOPPER IV GLA are:
- Improved magnetic layout, construction and properties.
- A reduced cantilever length.
- Due to points 1 and 2 the resolution is higher.
- The suspension uses a very special damping rubber.
- There is more “space” between the musical instruments and vocals.
- The output is reduced from 0.65 mV/ch. to 0.50 mV/ch. by using double layer Matched Crystal Gold coils on a cross-shaped armature, both producing a higher channel separation.
- The production time for a BLACK BEAUTY Special-X cartridge after ordering is about two weeks.