Ortofon TA-110 Tonearm
The TA-110 is a product with great benefits for the discerning analogue user. One of the main areas in which it improves over its predecessor (the TA-100) is in the improved use of rubber damping.
Ortofon are true specialists in technical rubber, and all of their specially designed compounds - made in house at their technical rubber facilities in Nakskov, Denmark - are used in many market sectors by companies from around the world. The unique compound used in the TA-110 is known particularly for its high vibration-dampening properties. Combine this material with Ortofon's extensive knowledge of vibration properties and characteristics, and the application of damping material in the TA-110 helps produce a superlative performance.
The TA-110 is given a precision-machined slit in the middle of the aluminium tube, and a piece of Ortofon's special vibration damping rubber is inserted into the slit. An armtube without slit and rubber damper is symmetrical in the vertical and lateral planes, with respect to vibrations. By placing a slit in the tube, the TA-110 breaks this symmetry, and then mounting the rubber insert gives the desired damping.
The effects of this seemingly simple process are notable, Please see the below illustration of the stresses in the armtube. The blue color indicates non-stressed areas, and the yellow/orange emphasises the more stressed parts. It is clear, that the TA-110 armtube is a lot less stressed than the standard tube used in the TA-100:
- Supplied with LH-2000E headshell and 6NX-TSW-1010 tonearm cables
- TA-110 is a static balance gimbal type arm, easy to use and adjust for optimal VTF settings
- TA-110 has a standard 5-pin DIN connector for tonearm cable
- The tonearm geometry allows for a Baerwald alignment (also the IEC recommendations)
- Counterweight with Inner/Outer scale
- Inner scale to be applied with main counterweight
- Outer scale to be applied when extra mass ring is added
- Counterweight will work with headshell+cartridge mass approximately in the range 20 to 28g
- TA-110 is fitted with a standard headshell connector and can easily be adjusted in accordance with the included mounting template
- Extra mass ring for heavier cartridge and headshell combinations included (the extra mass ring may need to be attached to achieve proper tracking force)
- Extra mass ring weight 45g
The counterweight should be attached onto the rear of the tonearm with the inner number scale facing forward. If the extra mass ring is needed, it must be installed prior to attaching the counterweight to the tonearm. The extra mass ring should be installed on the back of the counterweight and may need to be twisted slightly to facilitate the installation. Ensure that the extra mass ring fits tightly to the thick part of the counterweight.